writings from a women-run modern homestead. 

adventures in intentional living, radical homemaking, finding meaningfulness in the mundane, and subverting the food systems that be to feed my family nourishing food from our bit of land.

the resistance starts at home.

Simple Savory Vegetable Broth

Simple Savory Vegetable Broth

Vegetable Broth (also called Vegetable Stock) is a great way to use more of your food and waste less in your kitchen. And to add nutrients and depth to your cooking.

 vegetable broth 

Also, it is essentially free because 90% of what is required to make this are scraps from vegetables you would otherwise trash, and water. The other 10% are a few herbs and the “necessary” vegetables you may have to supplement if your scraps do not provide enough, but I rarely find that to be the case.

 simple vegetable broth

Let’s start with collecting your scraps..

I do this by putting a gallon size freezer safe container in the freezer and adding the odds and ends of the vegetables that we eat. This includes; end pieces, peels, some seeds, bruised parts, and extra bits of veggies. This particular stock of mine included: an assortment of peppers, kale, arugula, scallions, shallots, turmeric, green beans, arugula..

I make sure to exclude; broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts because they can make the broth bitter.

I throw these pieces directly into the container as they come, and collect until there is a gallon of scraps. This doesn’t take us long at all in this house, but there is no rush because the freezer will keep them for quite awhile.

 homemade vegetable broth

The Ingredient List

  • one gallon of vegetable scraps

  • 12 cups of water

  • Be sure to have included the equivalent of; one large carrot, a small onion, and a stalk of celery

  • 3 cloves of garlic, sliced

  • 1 bay leaf

  • 1 tablespoon (or) 1 sprig of Thyme

  • 1 tablespoon (or) 1 sprig of Rosemary

  • 1 tablespoon of fresh peppercorns

  • 1 teaspoon sea salt (or) Braggs Liquid Aminos 

 vegetable broth

Directions

  • dice up all of your supplemental ingredients like garlic and any onion or carrots you may need to add for ideal ratio

  • Measure your spices

  • Throw everything in a large pot

  • Bring to a boil and then simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasional

  • Strain the broth into a bowl and let cool

Now you can compost the strained vegetables, or feed it to your chickens like we do.

You can store broth in jars and refrigerate, or in freezer safe containers or bags for a longer shelf life.

Considering separating into quantities you will likely want to use it in, such as 2 cup increments for adding to recipes (or) 4 cup increments for a soup base

 homemade vegetable broth

Bringing vegetable broth to the next level!

Beyond it’s marvelous taste, bone broth is mineral rich and has the potential for aiding in gut health.

Just a few ingredients that can be added to bring your broth to the next level are;

  1. Turmeric Root. For its prebiotic and anti-inflammatory properties.

  2. Shiitake Mushrooms. Adding these will bring a rich, robust taste. They contain all essential amino acids, fiber, proteins, vitamins, and minerals.

  3. Wakame Seaweed. This is a great source for omega-3s, magnesium, iron, calcium…

 

 homemade vegetable broth, le creuset

What is broth good for?

A base for soups, risottos, chili, stews. A beverage in and of itself if you’re into that.

And you can substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth in many recipes.

 vegetable broth

This is a variation of broth that I find tastes wonderful, but really this is a great way to get creative in your kitchen. Try adding additional herbs, or different ratios of those I named, to find what you like best! And I’d love to hear what it is!

 homemade vegetable broth

Happy creative cooking!

 homemade vegetable broth
Simple Pleasures

Simple Pleasures

Butternut Squash & Lentil Cool Weather Curry

Butternut Squash & Lentil Cool Weather Curry