Why Subvert Your Supper? (and How)
How can supper be subversive?
First off, let us lay the groundwork for what subversion is.
Subversion refers to a process by which the values and principles of a system in place are contradicted or reversed, an attempt to transform the established social order and its structures of power, authority, hierarchy, and norm (social).
Second, let us establish what the widespread social norm is regarding food in the United States. I will do this in broad, generalized terms for this post. I will break down finer points in individualized posts to come.
Food situation #1 - conventionally grown vegetables and fruits are grown with pesticides. Pesticides are chemicals and are toxic. Consuming these toxic chemicals is linked to asthma, allergies, and may cause disruptions or damage to the neurological system, including your brain. These neurotoxins cause diseases like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s. These pesticides are endocrine disruptors. Your endocrine system is your hormones and the glands that secrete them. This system is imperative to pretty much all aspects of being alive. These pesticides are also carcinogens. Carcinogens are agents that can cause capital C, Cancer, people. Pesticides have been directly linked to increased cases of cancer. Many types of cancer, from bone, bladder, and brain cancers to leukemia to liver, prostate and pancreatic cancers, Ewing’s Sarcoma and lymphoma.
Food situation #2 - GMOs are crops that are genetically modified to be the only dang thing that can survive being doused in Roundup. This makes farming cheaper for the corporations, but then you are eating Roundup, which is a poison that kills everything on contact that hasn’t been genetically engineered to survive. Monsanto owns BOTH Roundup and what we call GMOs. For obvious serious health concerns, most countries have banned Roundup and these GMOs, but not the United States! So, if you are buying conventionally grown produce, plants, or seeds they most likely come with a hefty dose of toxic chemicals.
Food situation #3 - In the United States factory farms are the main powerhouses behind the mass production of food. Factory farms are actual factories that produce the great majority of America’s food with wanton disregard for the welfare of animals and for the overall health of our people. A few big ways in which the overall health of our nation is negatively impacted by factory farming is;
Factory raised animals are sustained on a diet of GMO feed.
Waste runoff from these factories poisons our drinking water with pathogens, such as; E Coli, salmonella, heavy metals, antibiotics, and hormones. Yes, unhealthy feces drippings are contaminating our drinking water, folks.
There is rampant use of high dose antibiotics on the very animals the majority of our country will consume in the form of meat and milk and dairy products. These animals are raised in such horrendous squalor that these antibiotics are necessary to keep the animals alive long enough to be able to make profit. All of this consumption of antibiotics creates antibiotic resistance in our human population.
And finally, let us draw that connection of why producing your own food, or procuring your food from local producers who produce using sustainable practices, is a subversive (or rebellious, renegade, progressive, what have you..) act.
Money is how we vote for what perpetuates in our world. And you earn your money through your time in life, time which is precious because it is finite. If you do not contribute your money, and thus your life, to companies that do not practice in alignment with your values, then you are withdrawing the only support that matters to them - Your financing.
“The personal is political” - an oh so true phrase coined by feminists in 1960s America. And what is more personal than the way in which you nourish you body? The space in which your spirit, mind, and potential exists. From this, one could rightfully conclude that the food you eat is your political authority. Not only does what you eat have influence due to it determining what companies and practices you are funding. But it also has influence on a very fundamental level to your quality of life and contribution to this world. How so? If you are fueling your body, and thus your spirit and mind, with nourishing and comforting food then you will set yourself up for wellness and to reach more of your potential. That fulfilled potential is what you bring to the world. If you are fueling your body with toxins, poisons, hormone disruptors, and a diet void of nutrient rich foods, then this results in a lower level of wellness and functioning. Even if you still function at a notable level, your potential is capped. Your well being is stunted. Even if you feel alright, you could feel better.
Buying from companies which produce food by such unscrupulous practices is giving them your power. To be bold, I go so far as to claim it is giving them your life. You are giving them the finite time you have in your life, by working to earn money to finance their businesses which directly produce the poisonous food that you use to sustain your body. The poisonous food that steals your wellness, your potential, your quality of life, and ultimately a good portion of your life itself.
You stop buying from these companies, and it effects in personal and societal change.
Now I know that there are real barriers to food access for many people, though, I will presume if you’re reading this you have some ability and/or drive to subvert the corrupt food system that is. And the more that those who are able to improve their food choices do so, the more access there will be for everyone. Why? Because where the money funnels, is where the power lies. Here we are talking about ways we can change that, and how to do it deliciously.
Here are a few doable ideas to get you started;
- Start sprouts right on your countertop. All you need is a mason jar, mesh lid, sprouting seeds, and water. I will write a post detailing how to this week!!
- If you have any outdoor space, including a patio for some pots, plant some seeds and grow to supplement your supper! If you don't have outdoor space, do you have a sunny windowsill? Try and nurture some micro-greens! I will share a post with steps to make this happen very soon.
- Here is a great resource (from a very knowledgeable blog, that I very much enjoy) for choosing heirloom seeds to grow the most nutritious, adaptable plants http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2018/01/buy-heirloom-seeds.html
- Find a local grower for your produce! Think farmers markets, CSAs, farm stands, co-op grocery stores.
- Here is a great site to find your local options! https://www.localharvest.org
- Know where your eggs, dairy, and meat are coming from! Find a local proprietor if you can. What are the conditions these animals are raised in? How does this impact the planet? Is their treatment humane? How does the quality of these products affect your body, health, life?
- Here is an informative article about choosing grocery store eggs. https://modernfarmer.com/2016/03/egg-carton-labels/
- Educate yourself so you can make the best decisions possible for you and your family. This stuff isn't just for hippies or bleeding hearts. This stuff matters. It really matters.
- the documentary Food, Inc.
- this article by Scientific American on how drug resistent bacteria travel from factory farms to your table, to you https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-drug-resistant-bacteria-travel-from-the-farm-to-your-table/
- this article (and its linked resources) by the United Nations University https://ourworld.unu.edu/en/the-shame-of-concentrated-animal-feedlots
Our choice of supper can be subversive and can make a world of difference.