Quick & Easy Pickled Veggies
Hey there! Today I’m sharing our favorite Quick Pickle recipe. We willily call them “Quickles”. They can easily be made during dinner prep for the meal at hand, and they store nicely in the refrigerator for a few weeks - though they never last that long here. And they’re the prettiest pickles I’ve ever seen! Eat them on sandwiches, tacos, bahn mis, salads, fried eggs, veggie burgers, top a slaw, with bbq...
- 1 cup of seasoned rice vinegar + 1/2 cup of white vinegar (combined)
- 1.5 cups of water
- 1 tsp sugar (optional, but I reccomend)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 egg size radishes
- 2 medium-large carrots
- 1/3 red onion
- 2 green onions
- 2 garlic clove(s)
- Few peppercorns
- Prep your veggies! Thinly slice radishes, cut carrots into matchsticks, dice red onion, chop green onion, and garlic. Put in quart size mason jar, fill loosely to top.
- Put the vinegar and water in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Immediately remove from heat and stir in to dissolve sugar, salt, (optional peppercorns).
- Pour the hot mixture into the jar over the veggies.
- Let cool, cover, and refrigerate!
You can enter your email address here for a download of the recipe in an easy to read format.
- If you want your veggies to be crispier then go ahead and let the liquid cool before pouring into jar.
- As for sugar, you can always leave out if you choose to avoid all sugar in your diet. But otherwise, I recommend using it because this little bit of sugar really tempers the acidity of the vinegar and lets all the flavors come through.
- You may substitute any vinegar of your choosing for my suggested vinegars. These are my suggestions because they’re the favorite in my house.
- Sometimes I add cucumbers, green peppers, etc.
- You can always add hot peppers for some heat. I would keep it minimal - to just a slice or two, because it will saturate.
- You may eat as soon as it’s cool, or it keeps well for a couple weeks in the fridge.
I’d love to hear any variations of this that you and yours love best! I’m always looking for improvements.